• The JuiceRoll Race Edition is a new EV charging station specifically designed and developed for MotoE.
• Thanks to its embedded storage system, the JuiceRoll reduces energy consumption from the grid while keeping the electric motorbikes powered up throughout the race.
Rome, April 29th, 2021 – Enel X, as Official Smart Charging Partner of the FIM Enel MotoE World Cup (“MotoE”), has launched the JuiceRoll Race Edition, the new charging infrastructure specifically designed and developed for the MotoE in Europe. The charging infrastructure will be used starting from the first race of the season, which is set to take place beginning on May 2, 2021 in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain. The JuiceRoll Race Edition is a highly innovative racing charging station with internal storage and two interconnectable units, namely a Semi-Mobile Unit (SMU) and a Mobile Unit (MU). The device can charge an electric motorbike in about 40 minutes.
Francesco Venturini, CEO of Enel X, said: “We are proud to launch a new smart charger for the FIM Enel MotoE World Cup, underscoring our commitment to develop innovative technologies for eMotorsports. This state-of-the-art device requires less power from the grid thanks to its embedded storage system, while ensuring more energy for the race through a mobile charging unit that can top up the bikes also in the starting grid. Overall, we consider eMotorsports a laboratory for smart charging technologies, with the aim to bring innovation from the racetrack to the street. We develop solutions to make motorsports more sustainable, while maintaining the same level of performance and competitiveness.”
• The semi-mobile unit (SMU) is located in the charging area of the ePaddock, and has a 50 kW DC output, an AC input from the grid of up to 22 kW and a 51 kWh embedded storage system. Additional energy can be secured through sixty 3Sun bifacial solar panels, for a total installed capacity of 21 kWp1, mounted in the charging area. By pairing storage alongside photovoltaics, the charging stations can limit the power input requested from the grid to 4-5 kW. The Mobile Unit (MU) is a moveable 10 kW DC charger, powered by the SMU and equipped with a 6 kWh embedded storage system that enables the unit to top up the bikes while in the pit lane and starting grid. The MU enables a seven-minute final charge on the starting grid, allowing the bikes to cover a greater distance than in previous seasons.
During the charging session in the ePaddock, the JuiceRoll Race Edition can supply the bikes with as much as 1 MW spread across 20 chargers, requesting only 100 kW from the solar panels and the grid under normal operating conditions. If needed, the batteries enable the charging devices to work without grid connection; they are able to compensate any power drops or blackouts from the grid while still safely charging the bikes.
Other new, distinctive features of the JuiceRoll Race Edition include the following:
• The MU can power electric tire warmers while in the ePaddock, pit lane and starting grid as well as during transfers between these areas, as keeping tires warm is key for optimal bike performance;
• The overall system is remotely monitored and controlled, managing power loads in order to optimize electricity supply from the grid.
The JuiceRoll Race Edition replaces the JuicePump 50 used in the first and second seasons of the FIM Enel MotoE World Cup.
Enel X is Enel Group’s global business line offering services that accelerate innovation and drive the energy transition. A global leader in the advanced energy solution sector, Enel X manages services such as demand response for around 6 GW of total capacity at global level and 123 MW of storage capacity installed worldwide, as well as around 186,000 electric vehicle charging points made available around the globe2. Through its advanced solutions, including energy management, financial services and electric mobility, Enel X provides each partner with an intuitive, personalized ecosystem of tech platforms and consulting services, focusing on sustainability and circular economy principles in order to provide people, communities, institutions and companies with an alternative model that respects the environment and integrates technological innovation into daily life. Each solution has the power to turn decarbonization, electrification and digitalization goals into sustainable actions for everyone, in order to build a more sustainable and efficient world together.
Find out more on https://evcharging.enelx.com/ and follow Enel X on its social media channels:
1 - kW peak.
2 - Public and private charging points. It includes interoperability points.